School is back in session and many of us are looking to jumpstart the year with healthy snacks before autumn kicks into gear. Don’t know what to bring for lunch but want a quick and easy meal? Make this tangy salad to add some zest to your day.
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey (agave is also an option)
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage (green works too)
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced apple (Granny Smith is best)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup unsalted sunflower seeds or other nuts
- Whisk together the first five ingredients. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
- Toss together the apples with lemon juice to keep them from browning. Mix both cabbages together and add apples, raisins, and sunflower seeds, and then toss all with dressing. Optional: use half the seeds to garnish the salad.