This pumpkin loaf recipe yields two soft, spiced pumpkin loaves that are perfect as a side with your favourite comfort foods, or as a midday snack with tea. You can also wrap individual slices in plastic wrap to freeze for later.
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
440 ml pumpkin puree
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour two regular-sized (approx. 8×4 inch) loaf pans. (Or prepare one loaf pan, bake a loaf, then use it again if you only have one pan.)
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl (or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, if you have one), cream softened butter and sugar. However, if your butter is straight from the fridge, fill a medium-sized bowl with water and microwave until almost boiling, then pour out water. With your butter on a plate, flip the bowl over to cover the butter. Place back in the microwave and wait around 10-20 minutes for it to (almost magically) soften.
4. Add one egg and mix, then add second egg and continue mixing for about two minutes.
5. Pour pumpkin puree into mixture and combine well. Mixture should look grainy or curdled.
6. Slowly add the dry flour mix from earlier into the wet pumpkin mix and combine well.
7. Pour mixture into pans and bake for 50 minutes. If a toothpick is clean after poking into the loaf, remove loaf and set aside to cool. If not, continue baking in five-minute intervals until done.
Recipe adapted from onceuponachef.com.