There’s no reason to resort to jarred pasta sauce with bizarre additives when you can make your very own using fresh tomatoes. This recipe calls for red wine, Parmesan cheese, and sundried tomatoes, which can add up to be on the pricier side. If you’re watching your budget, all you really need are cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, and roasted red pepper. Use this sauce on your favourite pasta, to top chicken parmigiana, or with roasted spaghetti squash as pictured here.
2 Tbsp – extra virgin olive oil
4 cups – cherry tomatoes
4 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup – diced onion
1/4–1/2 tsp – salt
1/2 cup – red wine
1/3 cup – chopped sundried tomatoes
1/3 cup – Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup – chopped roasted red pepper
7–8 – fresh basil leaves
pepper to taste
1. Pour olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat.
2. Pour in washed cherry tomatoes and stir often.
3. Add garlic, onions, salt, and red wine.
4. Stir frequently until most tomatoes have burst and boil for about 10 minutes.
5. Add sundried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, roasted red pepper, and fresh basil leaves.
6. Pulse in a blender on high until smooth.
7. Pour back into saucepan on low heat until ready to serve.