There have been many times walking into a yoga studio where I’ve wondered if, or how long in between uses, they wipe down their mats. I’m sure there’s a required standard, but I’ve always wanted my own, just to give it a wipe before I start using it to bend, stretch, and twist. Stumbling upon a yogi YouTuber from Texas named Adriene Mishler, I found the solution to my dilemma. With Natalie, the Nav’s fellow yogi and News Editor, I settled down to make our own cheap, quick, and easy DIY Yoga Mat Spray.
- Essential oils*
- Witchhazel astringent (alcohol-free)
- 100 mL spray bottle (glass is better)
*Recommended as base oils are antibacterial tea tree or eucalyptus, and aromatic lemongrass and lavender. The combination is ultimately up to you. Pick a cleansing oil (usually eucalyptus or tea tree) and one aromatherapy oil. For the purposes of the recipe, we chose eucalyptus and lemongrass.
- Fill 3/4 of bottle with water.
- Fill rest with astringent.
- Use five drops of eucalyptus oil and five drops of lemongrass.
- Add a little love (it is close to Valentine’s Day after all) and shake well.
A multipurpose concoction, this can be used as an air freshener, a pillow spray, and it even makes a nice gift to a friend or loved one.
When used as a mat spray, it is recommended that you spray the mat in sections and use a damp hand towel or wash cloth to wipe down.